According to an article at www.fitnessforweightloss.com the Top 5 reasons people do not exercise (almost 75% of Americans get less physical activity than they should!) are as follows:
1. There’s not enough time.
2. I don’t have enough energy.
3. I’m not motivated.
4. It’s too expensive.
5. I’m sick or injured.
So, do any of those ring a bell? I can assure you that you are NOT alone! Even that friend of yours that is Super Happy to sign up for every spin class or body boot camp has, at times, struggled with at least ONE thing on this list. So what are we to do?
Well, I cannot tell you that Pilates is “the answer”, after all, part of sticking with any exercise plan is finding something you enjoy- and, as much as it pains me, everyone does not “enjoy” Pilates!
However, I would like to offer some reasons why Pilates might just get you moving in the right direction–up off the couch and on to a healthier body.
Let’s take a look at our list again:
1. There’s not enough time. Pilates is one of the most efficient exercise methods because it simultaneously stretches and strengthens the entire body, improves posture and balance, and, in some cases, can condition the cardiovascular system. If you only have time for 15-30 minutes of exercise a day, this is a great one to use! Also, once you learn to engage your core, you will find that you are able to feel your muscles working throughout the day in your normal activities.
2. I don’t have enough energy. The breathing technique (lateral breathing) taught in Pilates energizes the body by forcing more air into the lungs, more oxygen to the blood and then the muscles. In addition to the breathing, the constant movement that occurs as part of the flow of the Pilates class helps to increase you energy level.
3. I’m not motivated. To some extent, motivation has to be something that comes from YOU and I can’t say that Pilates will answer your “motivation” problem. But think about something here…our bodies really aren’t ours, they belong to God. They are gifts from Him and although extrinsic benefits like healthy weight maintenance, building strength, or improving posture and flexibility are important, our true motivation for pursuing these benefits should be the awareness that God has given us these physical bodies for His purposes and taking care of them helps us be more effective in these purposes.
4. It’s too expensive. Exercise does not have to cost ANY money. Walking and running require the minimum investment of proper shoes and can be incorporated into your daily schedule. Also, there are some fitness centers that offer a sliding scale, so check your local YMCA or other community fitness center for details. COREministries offers AT LEAST one FREE Pilates class per week that incorporates a devotion and Scripture reading with a beginning, gentle Pilates class. (Talk about a time saver!)
5. I’m sick or injured. GOOD NEWS! Pilates is one of the more popular form of injury rehabilitation and often used in the fields of orthopedics and physical therapy. Pilates is also used as part of the treatment of chronic illnesses such as Lupus, arthritis, and even Parkinson’s disease. Joseph Pilates himself developed the method to improve his health which was compromised due to asthma and used it with influenza patients in an infirmary!
Need more motivation?…Check out these verses from God’s Word:
1. There’s not enough time. There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens. (Ecclesiastes 3:1)
2. I don’t have enough energy. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles;they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40: 30-31
3.I’m not motivated. Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. (Hebrews 12:1-2)
4. It’s too expensive. You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies. (1 Corinthians: 19b-20)
5. I’m sick or injured. I myself will tend my sheep and have them lie down, declares the Sovereign LORD. I will search for the lost and bring back the strays. I will bind up the injured and strengthen the weak… ( Ezekiel 34: 15-16)